Monday, September 8, 2014

Classical Conversations Cycle 3 Week 4 Tutor Plans

Week 4!  This is one of my favorite times in the classroom as routine has been established but the newness has not yet worn off.  I hope these tutor plans are of help to you if you are Classical Conversations tutor or perhaps they can be a springboard for you if you're reviewing or introducing these things at home.

Timeline
Read Week 3 or Week 1's plans for more details on Timeline. 
These are the symbols we'll draw this week.
Card 22-an Indian headdress
Card 23-a capital 'I' with a break in the middle
Card 24-H and H
Card 25-R and R
Card 26-a bow and arrow (Assyria) on top of an 'I' (Israel)
Card 27-a tablet of law (Babylon) on top of the bow and arrow (Assyria)
Card 28-a big question mark for the philosophers 

History
For this week, I thought I'd give little signs to each student a little sign with a few words from the History sentence written upon it.  We'll learn the sentence together and then have the students prepare to come and get in the correct order as we sing, facing the parents.  We'll sing it several times through, with the student holding up their portion of the sentence when it is sung.  

Latin
This week, we'll do this cheer squad style, 'When I say ___', 'You say ____.'  But instead I'll say, 'When English says _____, Latin says ____.'  We'll do this a few times altogether and then break the class into teams, one being English and the other Latin.  The English side will go first and the Latin side will then answer.

English
We'll do a rap for this sentence as well.  I'll post a video of the rap so stay tuned or follow my Youtube channel here.  


Science

We'll use Missy Wilson's song for this week and stand in a circle, with everyone turned to the side to march.  We'll act very 'nervous,' and point to our head first, our back second, and run our hands down our arms for the last part.  

Math
For skip counting 7's, we'll talk briefly about how there are 7 days in a week and that counting by 7's is great for counting down weeks for something fun like Christmas!  We'll stay in the circle and pass a ball around, each child saying the next number before passing.  I may use a scarf instead of a ball as I have lots of boys who might desire to do some baseball pitching instead of gentle passing.  

For skip counting 8's I'll have a little plastic spider that we pass around and say each number.  We'll review the song and then pass it around the circle a few times.  

Geography
We'll continue tracing the states onto our one piece of parchment paper and labeling them with abbreviations.  

Fine Arts
We'll warm up by drawing a few things upside down.  

For Abstract art, I'll bring in a few books to display some abstract artwork such as Jackson Pollock's, Kandinsky, or Klint.    




We'll do this rendition of Kandinsky's Color Studies for Class.  I'll bring in oil pastels for the kids to use which should be fun change from the more intensive drawing we've been doing in prior weeks.  

Review
Dart gun game.    This is so simple and so fun.  I make a bullseye on the board with 100 in the center, then 80, 60, 40 and the outside of the circle is 20.  I divide the class into two teams.  One student answers a question and then takes a shot with the dart gun.  If they answered their question correctly, they get to add 20 points to their shooting score.  This game provides lots of time for many questions and keeps most of the class engaged.    

Half-a-Hundred Acre Wood
 This post was included in the wonderful linkup at Half a Hundred Acre Wood. -

3 comments:

  1. Such great ideas! I love the countdown to Christmas, and I was also thinking along the lines of a Kandinsky project for abstract art week! Thanks for sharing your ideas and plans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great ideas! I agree about the countdown to Christmas connection with the 7s. I'll be mentioning that one to my kids:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your ideas! Your blog has been very helpful in my weekly tutor planning. But I see you ended with week 4 which we finished today. Do you plan on continuing putting your plans online? I know blogging takes time so understand if you aren't. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete